Art Lovers Rejoice! Did you know that Greeley is home to over 550 pieces of artwork and counting? Growing up in Greeley, I never realized how artwork here is one of our main selling points for residents.
Greeley truly seems to be a town that fosters all sorts of wonderful art, from having one of the best and longest established orchestras in the nation, from encouraging young artists to submit their art to galleries.
Artists like Armando Silva is a prime example of what happens when Greeley gives you an open platform to do whatever you would like. Silva has been acknowledged as one of Greeley’s main artists and is often times featured in Greeley Unexpected campaigns.
Silva produces visual art pieces, and by far is known very well by his Albert Einstein mural located in the arts district downtown.
I remember when my dance teacher / Arts Magnet Coordinator in high school would bring Silva into our school regularly to perform with through dancing and painting. He would make these abstract and creative portraits through the means of splatter point, while incorporating it with movement. I didn’t realize this until now, but Silva also painted the mural in our UNC gym.
Silva has even taught dance classes at both my high school and the conservatory of dance downtown. He wasn’t the main reasons why I became a dancer, but he did show a-lot of young people that it is possible to have a platform, even in a small town like Greeley.
Enough about Silva, let’s talk about upcoming galleries that you can visit this summer. The Eden Gallery is a gallery located in the arts district that shows various art from locals here in Greeley. There’s even a reception going on that is showing a project titled, “Aprons and Teapots” by Robin Sweeton, Mike Lemke, Jim Klingman, and Danyelle Butler. This project is entirely dedicated to Sweeton’s apron collection.
This is what the Greeley Unexpected campaign is really trying to push. There are so many things that go under the radar, and Greeley, although given a bad rap, is trying to push those boundaries of what people automatically associate with Greeley.
“I think how Greeley is handling their advertising has been very effective, without it there would be very few people talking about our town, said Kate Vargas, a cashier at King Soopers.
Like I said before, there are more than 550 pieces of artwork in Greeley. There’s even a catalog and map available for those who are willing to explore the town and see the multitude of sculptures that are available to analyze.
While some may argue that Greeley is lacking culture, there is definitely a culture here. Campaigns like Greeley Unexpected have kept Greeley alive and well, attracting people near and far to experience Greeley!
“While I know Greeley is doing their best to bring in people and keep up with what they public wants, I can’t help but feel like there is a lack of diversity. In order to really make Greeley Thrive we need to organize more and more artists into producing more thought provoking work, said Jocelyn Nunez.
Comments
Post a Comment