My blog’s purpose is to help me further branch out my writing, and how to present various topics to the public. I chose to talk about Greeley’s history and art museums. Talking about these things in a blog format will help me further understand journalism and give me a head start compared to other journalism majors.
The beat for my blog is all about Greeley’s history and art culture. Although I have lived in Greeley my whole life, I have yet to learn about everything Greeley once was. I plan on visiting various museums and or art galleries here in town and discuss what’s going on. I plan on posting at least twice a week.
I personally don’t have much experience in journalism at the moment. I’m currently trying to get an internship at the Greeley Tribune to further develop my skills.
Many folks, myself included, have criticized Greeley for lack of culture. I plan on throwing away said opinion and opening myself up more to what Greeley has to offer. Yes I have visited places like the Meeker Village, and the Greeley Train Depot, but I want to reexperience it as an adult. It will be interesting to see how my writing narrates what Greeley has to offer.
As a writer I feel that my writing can be sloppy at times. I often don’t give myself enough time to really go through my piece, and make sure everything is correct. This lack of revision causes my writing to be full of jargon. What I do lack for in wording, I make up in my story itself. I think my writing is interesting, but most importantly it engages my audience.
I have both a Tumblrand WordPress. Tumblr wasn’t so much for writing, as it was for visuals. Tumblr also taught me how to code in terms of editing my themes, and adding in various add-ons onto my blog. In Visual Media last semester, we all made blogs where we would post our assignments and that too gave me a feel of blogging.
I’m scared that I’ll treat this more like a journal entry. As long as I can follow my style guides and AP book, I should be in good hands. I do feel like my content will be very interesting especially after I make my blog’s page look good. I think having this blog will help me better understand how fast paced journalism can be. It’ll most likely help me better revise my papers as well.
Another just little interesting fact to start this blog is with this picture down below. I love photographs and this just to happens to be a portrait of Horace Greeley's mother, Mary Woodburn Greeley.

Hey Ryan,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting idea for a blog. As I think about it the only real history I know about the city of Greeley is from the prohibitionist era. Perhaps I'll run into you at the Speakeasy once it reopens? I think there is a lot to dig into here, and I'm excited to see what direction you end up going in.