Rattlesnake Realness

has always been something that I think about but never really got to experience later as an adult. I remember being so in awe seeing men crafting metal or seeing Rattlesnake Kate’s Dress in person.


There is so much undiscussed history of what has happened in Greeley’s past. Little do people know that there is so much history and life here.


For this post I briefly want to talk about Rattlesnake Kate because she was a really cool woman to me when I was growing up.


Rattlesnake Kate got her name the day she had to fend off and slaughter 140 rattlesnakes in order to protect herself and her son.


Her neighbor saw her battle and help her collect these snakes and threw them into three large tubs. Kate later put these snakes on a line to dry.


Kate was a very resourceful women, she even built her own house. The most interesting thing to me, and how she got her name, is that she fashioned about 50 snake skins to make a flapper styled dress.


Kate even created a neck band, or a choker, and a pair of shoes with all the snake skin she had left.


Three weeks before Kate died she donated these items to the Greeley Museum, and because of it, we all got to experience this garment and carry on her legacy.


Comments

  1. I've never heard of Rattlesnake Kate before! That's such a bizarre and awesome story. You did a great job of summarizing such a fascinating story that it's made me want to go find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Rattlesnake Kate! Interesting!

    Also, just a suggestion to maybe keep your single thoughts in a single paragraph. The spaced out sentences are just a little hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment